In 1885, James H. Davis and Horace F. Flint entered the banking business with $20,000 in capital. On July 25th of that year, Articles of Incorporation were signed to form the First National Bank. On September 29th, 1894, the shareholders met and voted to re-organize the business of the First National Bank into the Exchange Bank. By 1931, the total assets of the Exchange Bank were $128,079. From 1931 until 1960, the assets of the Exchange Bank grew to $1.4 million.
In 1962, a new bank building was built and still serves as the Gibbon location today. In 1989, the bank was sold to the present owners. The bank expanded to Grand Island in June of 2004, where they currently have two locations. In 2011, Exchange Bank merged with Nebraska National Bank of Kearney. In October of 2014, Exchange Bank welcomed its sister bank, First National Bank & Trust of Junction City, Kansas, to the Exchange Bank family. A second Kansas branch was also established in 2014 in Salina. Ground was broken for the newest Exchange Bank branch on West Dodge Road in Omaha in 2018.
Currently, the assets of Exchange Bank are in excess of $900 million. Even with its recent rapid growth, Exchange Bank continues to be a bank that takes pride in the small town feel consistent with its roots.